Admission procedure for full time studies at LMA
Use these 7 steps to become an International Student at Latvian Maritime Academy:
Step 1. Entry Requirements
Step 2. Application Documents
Step 3. Application Procedure
Step 4. Application Deadlines
Step 5. Entry Visa
Step 6. Register to Studies
Step 7. Join LMA community
Step 1. Entry Requirements:
• General/vocational secondary education for Bachelor’s degree study programmes
• Grades in Mathematics and the English language.
• The entry application documents are accepted in the English language.
• Language proficiency – the level of the language of instruction (i.e. Latvian or English) not lower than B2 (following the Common Framework of Reference for Language approved by the Council of Europe)
• Bachelor’s degree or vocational higher education for entering the Master’s degree study programme.
Step 2. Application Documents.
• Undergraduate students: a copy of upper secondary education or vocational education diploma with supplement/transcript of records, officially legalized, if issued outside the EU;
• Postgraduate students: a copy of a Bachelor’s degree diploma or vocational higher education with supplement/transcript of records, officially legalized, if issued outside the EU;
• 2 (two) passport style photos;
• Copy of passport;
• A scanned copy of the certificate of the English language competence issued by an international language testing institution;
• A seafarer’s medical certificate, see Annex 1 in the Republic of Latvia Cabinet Regulation No 273 : https://likumi.lv/ta/en/en/id/266784-regulations-regarding-the-medical-fitness-of-seafarers-for-work-on-a-ship
(except the Applicants for the BSc study programme of Port & Shipping Management and MSc degree study programmes).
• A bank transfer confirmation of the Application Fee of 200 € addressed to Latvian Maritime Academy (non-refundable).
NOTE: provide payment only with the consent of LMA.
The Applicant pays all bank commission fees for international transfer.
Latvian Maritime Academy
Registration No.: 90000040638
Address: 12 K-1, Flotes Str., Riga LV-1015, Latvia
Bank: State Treasury
Account No.: LV75TREL9150170000000
SWIFT Code: TRELLV22
Reference No: 21379 – registration fee
Step 3. Application Procedure.
1. APPLICATION FORM for FULL TIME STUDIES completed and submitted to LMA together with the documents listed in the application form.
2. Enrolment commission reviews the received documents and replies to the Applicant by e-mail within 5 (five) weekdays.
3. To proceed further with the processing of application the application fee (non-refundable, 200 € per student) shall be paid to LMA. For details see Step 2 above.
4. Information about a scheduled Skype video interview and online entrance examination, if applicable, sent to the Applicant.
5. Received education certificates and diplomas are sent to ENIC/NARIC Centre for evaluation. This process may take time up to one month or even longer.
For information on recognition of foreign diplomas in Latvia see: http://www.aic.lv/portal/en/arvalstu-diplomu-atzisana
6. Results on admission are communicated to the Applicant by sending an Admission letter. Final admission decision is usually announced within 3-4 weeks.
7. Study agreement is prepared for signing by the Applicant. It envisages the payment of a security deposit (600€ per student, refundable upon graduation from LMA) and a tuition fee for the first academic year. Tuition fee can be paid in two instalments.
8. After signing the study agreement and settlement of the above mentioned fees LMA will dispatch a full admission package (Agreement for studies at Latvian Maritime Academy, a Guarantee Letter in the Latvian language, Verification of academic qualifications in the Latvian language, the Reference number of the request for entry visa issued by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA)) to the Applicant
In case of any queries please contact LMA International Relations Office (IRO) by e-mail: email@example.com
Step 4. Application Deadlines.
• for AUTUMN 2021 intake: from 1st January till 1st March 2021
• for SPRING 2022 intake: from 1st July till 1st September 2021
autumn semester starts on 1st September, spring semester starts in mid-January.
Step 5. Entry Visa.
• Check information on visas and invitations on the website the Immigration Office in Latvia: https://www.pmlp.gov.lv/en/home/services/visas-and-invitations/#1
• Check information about residence permits in the Republic of Latvia: https://www.pmlp.gov.lv/en/home/services/residence-permits/
Step 6. Registration to Studies.
• International students are advised to arrive a few days before beginning of studies.
• Before arrival all international students shall inform IRO about arrival date, time and place by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org .
• In case of failure to arrive until the above-referred time limit, all the documents issued by the LMA to obtain a residence permit in the Republic of Latvia and to get a multiple-entry long stay D-type visa shall lose their effect.
• Admitted students shall be responsible and take care of all travel documents on their own: passport, insurance and traveling expenses which are excluded from the Tuition Fee.
• Students from countries with visa requirements should be aware of the time required to obtain a visa. Information can be obtained from Latvian Consular Offices, check: https://www.mfa.gov.lv/en/consular-information
Step 7. Join LMA Community.
• Living conditions: LMA hostel, price – ca.125€ per month (the price is revised every academic year). Address: 12 K-6, Flotes Street, Riga LV-1016, Latvia
• It is located in LMA campus, about 15 km away from Old Town (centre) of Riga.
• A single room with a bathroom, WC and kitchen to be shared with another LMA student.
• The price for accommodation includes the costs of electricity and heating. The students have to pay about 10€-15€ per month for using wireless internet in the hostel. This cost can also be shared among the students staying in the same apartment.
• To get prepared for studies in Latvia visit the website: http://www.studyinlatvia.lv/